Dr. Mei-Huei CHEN 陳美惠博士
Honorary Research Fellow
Room 733, 17 Xuzhou Road, Taipei 10055, Taiwan
Room 733, 17 Xuzhou Road, Taipei 10055, Taiwan
◆ Current Positions
◆ Professional Experience
◆ Research Interests
- Attending Physician, Institute of Population Health Sciences, National Health Research Institutes, Taiwan (2016-present)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taiwan (2014-present)
- PhD, Institute of Occupational Medicine and Industrial Hygiene, National Taiwan University College of Public Health, Taiwan (2007-2013)
- MD, School of Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taiwan (1993-2000)
◆ Professional Experience
- Attending physician, Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Yunlin Branch, Taiwan (2013-2016)
- Secretariat, Birth Cohort Consortium of Asia (2013-2014)
- Attending physician, Department of Pediatrics, Cardinal Tien Hospital Yung Ho Branch, Taiwan (2006-2013)
- Fellow, Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taiwan (2004-2006)
- Resident, Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taiwan (2000-2004)
◆ Research Interests
- My research interests are children's environmental health, birth cohort study, neonatology, and pediatric public health.
- The Best Paper Award, The Taiwan Society of Neonatology (2009)
- Graduate Students Study Abroad Program, National Science Council (2011)
- Outstanding Paper Award, Taiwan Epidemiology Association (2015)
- Young Investigator Award, Taiwan Pediatric Association (2015)
- 1. Chen MH, Chen PC, Jeng SF, Hsieh CJ, Su FC, Liao HF, Su YN, Lin SJ, Hsieh WS. High perinatal seroprevalence of cytomegalovirus in northern Taiwan. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2008 Apr; 44(4): 166-169.
- 2. Tung YC, Chen MH, Lee CT, Tsai WY. Beta-cell autoantibodies and their function in Taiwanese children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
Journal of Formosan Medical Association. 2009 Nov; 108(11): 856-861.
- 3. Chou HC, Chen MH, Yang HI, Su YN, Hsieh WS, Chen CY, Chen HL, Chang MH, Tsao PN. 211 G to a variation of UDP-glucuronosyl transferase 1A1 gene and neonatal breastfeeding jaundice. Pediatric Research 2011 Feb; 69(2): 170-174.
- 4. Lin YC, Chen MH, Hsieh CJ, Chen PC. Effect of rotating shift work on childbearing and birth weight: a study of women working in a semiconductor manufacturing factory. World Journal of Pediatrics 2011 May; 7(2): 129-135.
- 5. Chou YT, Liao PW, Lin MC, Chou JC, Lin YH, Lin MH, Tang SH, Chen MH. Medulloblastoma presenting with pure word deafness: report of one case and review of literature. Pediatrics and Neonatology 2011 Oct; 52(5): 290-293.
- 6. Chang RJ, Chou HC, Chang YH, Chen MH, Chen CY, Hsieh WS, Tsao PN. Weight loss percentage prediction of subsequent neonatal hyperbilirubinemia in exclusively breastfed neonates. Pediatrics and Neonatology 2012 Feb; 53(1): 41-44.
- 7. Chen MH, Ha EH, Wen TW, Su YN, Lien GW, Chen CY, Chen PC, Hsieh WS. Perfluorinated compounds in umbilical cord blood and adverse birth outcomes. PLoS ONE 2012 Aug; 7(8): e42474.
- 8. Huang HC, Yang HI, Chang YH, Chang RJ, Chen MH, Chen CY, Chou HC, Hsieh WS, Tsao PN. Model to predict hyperbilirubinemia in healthy term and near-term newborns with exclusive breast feeding. Pediatrics and Neonatology 2012 Dec; 53(6): 354-358.
- 9. Lien GW, Huang CC, Wu KY, Chen MH, Lin CY, Chen CY, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Neonatal-maternal factors and perfluoroalkyl substances in cord blood. Chemosphere 2013 Aug; 92(7): 843-850.
- 10. Chen MH, Ha EH, Liao HF, Jeng SF, Su YN, Wen TW, Lien GW, Chen CY, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Perfluorinated compound levels in cord blood and neurodevelopment at 2 years of age. Epidemiology 2013 Nov; 24(6): 800-808.
- 11. Yang TO, Huang WT, Chen MH, Chen PC. Seasonal synchrony in incidences of common infectious diagnoses in early childhood among neighbouring regions. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2014 Nov; 28: 214-216.
- 12. Hsu ST, Hsieh CJ, Chen HW, Jeng SF, Wu HC, Chen MH, Chen CY, Chou HC, Tsao PN, Chen PC, Hsieh WS. Nationwide birth weight and gestational age-specific neonatal mortality rate in Taiwan. Pediatrics and Neonatology 2015 Jun; 56(3): 149-158.
- 13. Tsai MS, Lin CY, Lin CC, Chen MH, Hsu SHJ, Chien KL, Sung FC, Chen PC, Su TC. Association between perfluoroalkyl substances and reproductive hormones in adolescents and young adults. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 2015 Jul; 218(5): 437-443.
- 14. Verner MA, Loccisano AE, Morken NH, Yoon M, Wu H, McDougall R, Maisonet M, Marcus M, Kishi R, Miyashita C, Chen MH, Hsieh WS, Andersen ME, Clewell HJ, Longnecker MP. Associations of perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) with lower birth weight: an evaluation of potential confounding by glomerular filtration rate using a physiologically based pharmacokinetic model (PBPK). Environmental Health Perspectives 2015 Dec; 123(12): 1317-1324.
- 15. Yang TO, Huang WT, Chen MH, Chen PC. Diagnostic uncertainty of herpangina and hand-foot-and-mouth disease and its impact on national enterovirus syndromic monitoring. Epidemiology and Infection 2016 May; 144(7): 1512-1519.
- 16. Lien GW, Huang CC, Shiu JS, Chen MH, Hsieh WS, Guo YL, Chen PC. Perfluoroalkyl substances in cord blood and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms in seven-year-old children. Chemosphere 2016 Aug; 156: 118-127.
- 17. Yang TO, Liu YL, Huang WT, Chen MH, Chen PC. Specific and non-specific clinical presentations in the year before the diagnosis of childhood leukaemia. Pediatric Blood and Cancer 2016 Aug; 63(8): 1387-1393.
- 18. Weng TI, Chen MH, Lien GW, Chen PS, Lin JCC, Fang CC, Chen PC. Effects of sex on the association of urinary phthalate metabolites with thyroid hormones in children: a prospective cohort study in Taiwan. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2017 Feb; 14(2): 123.
- 19. Tsai MS, Lin CC, Chen MH, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Perfluoroalkyl substances and thyroid hormones in cord blood. Environmental Pollution 2017 Mar; 222: 543-548.
- 20. Yang TO, Huang WT, Chen MH, Huang KYA, Chen PC. Childhood cancer, type 1 diabetes, and other immune diseases: healthcare visits in the year before diagnosis in Taiwan. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2017 Jul; 102(7): 629-633.
- 21. Exposure sources and their relative contributions to urinary phthalate metabolites among children in Taiwan.
Chen CC, Wang YH, Wang SL, Huang PC, Chuang SC, Chen MH, Chen BH, Sun CW, Fu HC, Lee CC, Wu MT, Chen ML, Hsiung CA. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 2017 Jul; 220(5): 869-879.
- 22. Huang KH, Chou AK, Jeng SF, Ng S, Hsieh CJ, Chen MH, Chen PC, Hsieh WS. The impacts of cord blood cotinine and glutathione-S-transferase gene polymorphisms on birth outcome. Pediatrics and Neonatology 2017 Aug; 58(4): 362-369.
- 23. Lin CC, Chien CJ, Tsai MS, Chen MH, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Prenatal phenolic compounds exposure and neurobehavioral development at 2 and 7 years of age. Science of the Total Environment 2017 Dec; 605-606: 801-810.
- 24. Kim BM, Chen MH, Chen PC, Park H, Ha M, Kim Y, Hong YC, Kim YJ, Ha EH. Path analysis of prenatal mercury levels and birth weights in Korean and Taiwanese birth cohorts. Science of the Total Environment 2017 Dec; 605-606: 1003-1010.
- 25. Chen MH, Ng S, Hsieh CJ, Lin CC, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. The impact of prenatal perfluoroalkyl substances exposure on neonatal and child growth. Science of the Total Environment 2017 Dec; 607-608: 669-675.
- 26. Tsai MS, Chen MH, Lin CC, Ng S, Hsieh CJ, Liu CY, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Children’s environmental health based on birth cohort studies of Asia. Science of the Total Environment 2017 Dec; 609: 396-409.
- 27. Lin LY, Tsai MS, Chen MH, Ng S, Hsieh CJ, Lin CC, Lu FL, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Childhood exposure to phthalates and pulmonary function. Science of the Total Environment 2018 Feb; 615: 1282-1289.
- 28. Wei CF, Chen MH, Lin CC, Guo YL, Lin SJ, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Household incense burning and infant gross motor development: results from the Taiwan Birth Cohort Study. Environment International 2018 Jun; 115: 110-116.
- 29. Yang TYO, Huang WT, Chen MH, Huang KYA, Chen PC. Sex differences in common childhood infections in Taiwan. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 2018 Oct; 75: 115-117.
- 30. Chen MH, Ng S, Tsai MS, Lin CC, Chen PC. 12. Birth Cohort Consortium of Asia (BiCCA): Current children’s environmental health issues in Asia and future perspectives. In: Sata F, Fukuoka H, Hanson M, eds. Pre-emptive Medicine: Public Health Aspects of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (ISBN: 978-981-13-2193-1, 978-981-13-2194-8 (eBook)). Current Topics in Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine. Singapore: Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd, 2019: 189-197.
- 31. Tsai MS, Chen MH, Lin CC, Liu CY, Chen PC. Children’s environmental health based on birth cohort studies of Asia (2) - air pollution, pesticides, and heavy metals. Environmental Research 2019 Dec; 179A: 108754. PubMed
- 32. Wei CF, Chen MH, Lin CC, Guo YL, Lin SJ, Laio HF, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Association between maternal shift work and infant neurodevelopmental outcomes: results from the Taiwan Birth Cohort Study with propensity score matched analysis. International Journal of Epidemiology 2019 Oct; 48(5): 1545-1555. PubMed
- 33. Lin CC, Tsai MS, Chen MH, Chen PC. Chapter 11. Mercury, lead, manganese, and hazardous metals. In: Kishi R, Grandjean P, eds. Health Impacts of Developmental Exposure to Environmental Chemicals (ISBN: 978-981-15-0519-5, 978-981-15-0520-1 (eBook)). Current Topics in Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine. Singapore: Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd, 2020: 247-277.
- 34. Lin TW, Chen MK, Lin CC, Chen MH, Tsai MS, Chan DC, Hung KY, Chen PC. Association between exposure to perfluoroalkyl substances and metabolic syndrome and related outcomes among older residents living near a science park in Taiwan. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 2020 Sep; 230: 113607. PubMed
- 35. Kung YP, Lin CC, Chen MH, Tsai MS, Hsieh WS, Chen PC. Intrauterine exposure to per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances may harm children's lung function development. Environmental Research 2021 Jan; 192: 110178. PubMed
- 36. Wei CF, Lin CC, Tsai MS, Guo YL, Lin SJ, Liao HF, Hsieh WS, Chen MH, Chen PC. Associations between household incense burning and delayed motor development among preterm infants modified by gestational age and maternal educational status. Indoor Air 2020; epub ahead of print. PubMed